Flash Required to view this area.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I'm SO Not a Domestic Goddess

My oven is self cleaning right now and my house reeks. Every window is open and all of the fans are on. I'm bundled up on the couch because this fresh air is great but cold. And I'm nursing my wounded pride (and a Captain & Coke). My mom reassured me that this was a mistake that everyone has made. So what did I do? It all started when I decided that I would make Molten Chocolate Cakes (better known as CAKE! in my bookmarks bar). I set the oven to 425 just like the recipe says and started the oven. I melted the butter & chocolate in the microwave and whisked them to melt the rest of the chocolate, just like the recipe says. I added the 1 cup of powdered sugar, just like the recipe says. And I was about to add the 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks when I looked at the oven and about had a heart attack. I'm not sure of my exact wording, but I think it went something like this, "HOLY CRAP WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE OVEN? WHY IS IT SMOKING LIKE THAT? BAAAABY?!?!?!" There may have been some stronger language in there, I really couldn't tell you. That's when we noticed that it smelled like melting crayons and I so-very-bravely opened the oven door. And that is when I saw the plate that I set in there probably a week ago with some of the smores that the Schwann's man brings that are delicious. I made them with lunch last week and meant to eat them with Jackson after he woke up from a nap. Since they were sitting in the oven out of the reach of little sandpapery kitten tongues, I naturally forgot all about them until the moment that I wished with all of my heart and soul that it really was just melting crayons instead of a melting plate in the oven. The smores were relatively fine (no, I did not taste test one) but my plastic plate was just a teal puddle on the bottom of the oven and dripping down the little oven shelves (do those have a name? baking racks? More proof of my non-domestic goddessness). After a phone call to my parents and much scraping of oven parts, my house is now cold and my oven smells and I'm not eating my bookmarked CAKE! or enjoying myself. I don't even have a picture because in the heat of the moment, my brain was cussing and not thinking about grabbing the camera for some documentation. I'm sure any mental picture you may have is pretty accurate though, so I'll leave you with that.

0 comments:

About Claire

I'm a mommy and a photographer, and I've got the coolest husband ever. My photography journey is just getting started, but I can't wait to see where I go with it.